my virtual keepsake box.... the things that make me happy, the things that make me sing...these are a few of my favorite things...

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Baby it's hot outside~~

Spring has definitely sprung around here! It was a good 70 degrees outside this afternoon, so for dinner I knew I wanted something light. I was already making shrimp creole for Brandon, so I decided to steal some of his shrimp to make one of my favorite dishes: Shrimp Couscous. It's so easy to make and it is super light on your tummy. The kids really love it and they always want me to pack it in their lunch the next day.


What you'll need:
1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 leeks, cut into half moons
2 shredded carrots
5 cloves thinly sliced garlic cloves
1 cup thawed frozen peas
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 cup couscous
2 tbls olive oil
2 cups boiling water

What you'll do:
Heat 1 tbls olive oil over med heat, toss in shrimp. Salt and pepper to taste *I prefer coarse salt here, but use what you like*. Saute about 3 minutes *just until cooked through*. Remove from pan. Add 1 tbls olive oil to pan and stir in 1 tsp mustard seeds, cook until seeds begin to pop *takes about 30 seconds*. Add leeks, carrots, and garlic. Cook until leeks are tender *about 5 minutes*. Stir in 1 cup couscous, peas, and 2 cups boiling water. Remvove from heat, cover; let stand for about 5 minutes. Add shrimp and stir gently.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger